ARC received by Feiwel & Friends (Macmillan) from ALA
Release Date: 5-22-2012
Reviewed by: Middle Sis Jenn
The Sisters Say:
A Copy of Of Poseidon by Anna Banks: $12.23 from Amazon
A Mermaid Costume to wear on Halloween: $91.25 via Costume Craze, LLC
Getting to read a fantastic book with a super hot Mer-guy (Galen)--PRICELESS!
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he’s heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma’s gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .
Told from both Emma and Galen’s points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.
At first I was skeptical about a “mermaid book” because the idea of a fin kind of creeps me out—don’t laugh; but I figured I would give this one a try. I am so glad I did! From the first chapter, I was hooked—I even laughed out loud a few times (loud enough to get my husband’s attention along with a murmur that sounded something like “book nerd”—he doesn’t know what he’s missing). I read it in one sitting (which is a feat with an 8 month old baby) and was tempted to turn right back to the beginning to re-read it.
So after chatting with my sister Britt, who read the book first and also loved it, we have decided to do another of the famed “Top Ten” lists for Of Poseidon.
10. Cosmic Clumsiness--Emma is so clumsy that you will truly laugh out loud quite often during the book. In fact, her clumsiness is how she meets Galen, falling forward and "asssaulting his pecks." I couldn't stop laughing!
9. Toraf--He's a Syrena whose snarkiness will also make you laugh out loud. His persistent chase of Rayna and his acceptance of her constant attacks is borderline insanity, but you can really see how much he cares for her. I found Toraf to be one of my favorite characters.
8. Mythology--We get a different view of Poseidon and Triton in this novel. It's a part of mermaid mythology I had never heard before--very interesting.
7. The Ocean setting--I won't tell you much because I don't want to spoil the surprise, but I loved the history that we got to see about the oceans and what happens above and below them. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to be a mermaid (or were just curious about the bottom of the ocean), take a look through Galen's eyes!
6. The Little Mermaid-like scenes--Do you remember the scene in The Little Mermaid where Ariel spins around and the fish fly around her hair until it's standing straight up? I loved that scene as a little girl, and there are plenty of scenes in this book that brought me right back to my childhood.
5. Rayna--she's so smug and self-absorbed, but it works for her. She's the love you/hate you type of girl, but she adds a great dimension to how Syrena life appears. I loved reading her insults and comebacks, and eventually, her breakthroughs.
4. The pull--I won't say much other than it is a Syrena legend kind of like soul mates--a feeling that quite literally pulls you to another person, and that it really adds to the romance!
3. The OOOOOOHHHHHH ending…..that caused me to go straight to Twitter and ask Anna Banks how many more books there would be (as of now, a sequel is in the works). II am reeling to find out what happens next! I won't say anything else!
2. Emma and her sarcasm, snarkiness, and smugness--I find her insistence that she call Gale, “Your Highness” very amusing. She's not afraid of who he is, and she's not intimidated. She's tough, but not too tough--so she's very believable. She struggles with the truth, and she struggles with her abilities. I really felt like I connected to her. I can't wait to see what's in store for her in the future.
1. Galen--What can I say? He's charming, mysterious, tan, chiseled, and handsome--just what every girl wants in her YA guys. He comes on tough and insensitive, but eventually we see a side to him that will make you melt! I really loved Galen, and I just love seeing how his feelings for Emma change and grow over the book. With the crazy ending, though, I'm anxious to find out what Galen's role will be in the sequel.
This was my first mermaid book, and I am so glad I started with this one. It was full of action--never a dull moment. Plus, there's the hot guy that will make all girls squee--even the tail doesn't bother me anymore!
So....you think you're tired of mermaid books?
I promise you, dive into this book and you'll find the waters hot and steamy--just like I like 'em! Don't miss out!
Go buy this book!!! You won't regret it!